Treat Acne Naturally
Treat acne naturally with our holistic natural Acne treatments and our guide to clear skin.
Are you a teen that is stressed out and frustrated by your acne? We know how hard it is to go through such an important time with skin problems. There is a lot that you can do, and we have options with natural, organic and herbal skin care products that are effective to deal with your acne.
Acne is a bacterial problem but it is also an inflammation problem. Let us recommend a regimen that will restore your skin’s ability to protect and heal itself. Let us guide you on how to deal with your acne problem naturally.
Treat acne naturally – What are the Exterior Triggers for Acne?
1. Blocked pores (from dead skin cells, sebum, makeup)
2. Improper/Basic skin PH (allows acne bacteria to flourish)
3. Too much sebum (feeds acne bacteria)
What are the Interior Triggers for Acne?
1. Increased androgens (sexual hormones that go way up at puberty)
2. Stress (causes less circulation to the skin and hormone imbalance)
3. Poor diet – Without attention to BOTH of these components, your likelihood of success is much lower.
Treat acne naturally – How to deal with your Acne problem naturally!
1. Eat amazingly healthy, fresh, organic foods. Eating healthy foods is the best way to get your body to overall health, and that includes skin imbalances. The more veggies and fruits you eat. the better. The more raw, unprocessed foods you eat, the better. Stay away from prepackaged foods as much as possible. Food additives can be responsible for a whole host of inflammatory responses that includes acne. The more fresh, organic, unprocessed plants you can eat the more your skin is going to glow. By eating fresh fruits and vegetables you are not only eliminating harmful additives but dramatically boosting your vitamin and nutrient intake. Also, eat the right fats, consume more Omega 3 fats – wild caught fish, krill oil, avocados, organic free range animal products. Take a good probiotic – kefir or a kombucha drink.
2. Get adequate sleep and relaxation. Do things to lower your stress levels, especially around exam time. Do some stretching, deep breathe, go for a run or a swim. Dance, play a game of netball, hockey, whatever physical sport you really enjoy. Take a bath and put in 20 drops of relaxing aromatherapy essential oils into the bath, and apply a cleansing facial mask.
3. Use a gentle, natural cleansing routine daily to exfoliate, balance sebum, kill bacteria, and maintain proper PH. Use natural skin care products without parabens, synthetic ingredients, artificial fragrance, and artificial preservatives.
4. Moisturise and spot treat with something soothing and anti-inflammatory.
Treat acne naturally – Skin Care Regime
Exfoliate – Skin cells replicate and die off each day as part of the skin’s natural repair and growth cycles. The dead skin cells may slough off but some individuals’ skin may not maintain itself as efficiently. This causes the buildup of dead skin cells on the surface and can cause a dull appearance, patchy and flaky areas, and clogged pores. The skin replicates less efficiently as individuals age and regular but gentle exfoliation can help maintain a smooth, fresh, bright appearance. A clogged pore is more likely to get a pimple, so helping your skin with its daily renewal is a great idea.
Exfoliation can be done manually with a mild scrub, but a gentler way to go at it is enzymes such as Bromelain from Pineapple, Papain from Papaya, and even Kiwi Fruit juice will dissolve dead skin cells. A mild acid like the Beta Hydroxy Acid Salicylates in Willow Bark will dissolve dead skin cells too. Even just using a washcloth to gently wipe your face while removing your cleanser can provide benefit. Over-exfoliation is not a good thing and gentle is the keyword for good results. Take it easy on yourself.
Balancing Sebum and kill bacteria – A great natural, organic cleanser for acne/oily skin will balance sebum, remove bacterial buildup and contain herbs, oils and other healing ingredients to kill and reduce acne bacteria. Most essential oils have antibacterial qualities and are highly mobile into the skin, which makes them uniquely suited to natural acne treatment. They discourage bacteria on the surface and work against bacterial growth inside pores. For common antibacterial essential oils that may help manage acne more gently than Tea Tree oil, try Lavender, Lemon Myrtle, Rose, Palmarosa, Rosemary, Geranium, Cedarwood, Myrhh, Bergamot, and Frankincense.
Maintain Proper Skin PH – Many people are damaging their naturally acidic skin PH by using alkaline cleansers. Once the acid mantle is removed or compromised your skin’s defenses are down and acne bacteria can flourish. If you’re using a soap-based cleanser and have acne problems stop now and switch to something with an acidic PH that will not damage your acid mantle. Look for cleansers with mild glucosides ( Decyl Glucoside ) or with “saponified oils”.
We are fans of oil cleansing, read more HERE.
Moisturise and spot treat with something soothing and anti-inflammatory – not drying!!
Our ultimate wildcrafted range that is totally healing, calming and soothing is our Siam Seas range. Read more about our Acne treatment range with Siam Seas HERE
Use physical sunblocks instead of chemical sunblocks – If you are looking for safe sun protection for your complexion, you will love our Annmarie Gianni Natural Broad Spectrum SPF 20, Sun Love. With 15% non-nano Zinc Oxide, beeswax, botanical oils, it is an amazing moisturiser that absorbs well and this product glides onto your skin beautifully.
Hydration makes skin happy. – There’s just no reason to use a bunch of synthetic replacements when real, nutrient-rich, botanical oils are GOOD for your skin in the right amounts and also don’t clog pores. Plus they come with anti-aging benefits as a hefty bonus. One favourite hydrating ingredient is Aloe Vera, so moisturizing, healing, anti-inflammatory and regenerative.
Lightweight anti-inflammatory oils with their high content of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids are good choices. Jojoba oil, Argan, Elderberry, Safflower, Hemp, Pumpkinseed, Chia seed, Grapeseed, Red Raspberry and Cranberry.
Our Siam Seas Element Beauty Balm is thoughtfully and carefully formulated with reactive, easily congested skin in mind and is made to heal your skin while allowing it to glow beautifully and healthily without clogging your pores. SEAS Elements is a perfect treat for post acne scar, dry, premature aging, and dull looking skin. It is so rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that make it a perfect treat for skin after sun. Formulated with powerful botanicals from the East that help detoxify, brighten and lighten post acne scar
Read more HERE about the best organic facial oils to use if you have Acne prone skin. We also talk about Coconut oil. Can coconut oil help reduce Acne?
Niacinamide ( Vitamin B3 ) is a winning ingredient all around for fighting acne problems. Its benefits include moderating oil production, building collagen, even colouration, and helping skin retain hydration so you don’t end up dry in the middle of the day. Niacinamide is a feature ingredient in the Blissoma moisturisers including Blissoma Smooth A+ Serum, which contains the recommended 4%.
Organic Masks – It’s great to have something to apply directly to your problem areas or as a deep cleaning, proactive treatment. A weekly mask is your best answer for a regular routine. Choose something that will offer you a boost and variety of nutrition, perhaps at higher levels than what you use daily.
Clays and Zeolites are the top choices for oil management, pore cleansing, and overall detoxification. We have clay mask choices at our online store, so experiment and try a few so you can decide what works best for your skin. Some come dry and some come wet. For a pre-blended dry clay, you could try the Annemarie Gianni Purify Mud Mask. For a wet, creamy, premixed clay mask check out our Blissoma Refine Clay Renewal Treatment. Leave a dot of clay mixture directly on a pimple overnight to shrink it.
Read more about the benefits of Zeolite HERE.
Acid masks and peels are popular for exfoliation and these can be fine used in moderation. If you use them, keep it to once a week. Most use fruit acids, glycolic, or lactic acids. Overuse of these can irritate the skin so take it easy. Beta-Hydroxy acids like the natural salicylates found in Willow Bark are also a great choice and can be less irritating for some people.
Treat Acne Naturally – Invest in healthy makeup products.
The one product that is a healthy switch is investing in a natural mineral foundation. A mineral makeup foundation will not clog pores, contain anti-inflammatories and non-irritating clays and iron oxides. Also, natural makeup does not contain unnecessary chemicals and additives which can irritate skin. Talc dehydrates the skin and Silicones are terrible in clogging pores.
We hope you enjoyed our article. If you need the guidance of which Acne products are right for you, contact us, we love to help. Read our article on how to heal and prevent breakouts with Annmarie Gianni.